Sunday 29 November 2009

Some Styles to Try

Remember: if you want to do a page of Deo Geureat Kechupi Ploject, there are a number of styles you can try.

You might even want to take on several pages, to try several styles.

For example, let's take this sample paragraph from the original:


Gatsby’s house was still empty when I left—the grass on
his lawn had grown as long as mine. One of the taxi driv-
ers in the village never took a fare past the entrance gate
without stopping for a minute and pointing inside; perhaps
it was he who drove Daisy and Gatsby over to East Egg the
night of the accident and perhaps he had made a story about
it all his own. I didn’t want to hear it and I avoided him
when I got off the train.


You can give it a number of different treatments.

1. Korean Promotional Brochure

Kechupi’s 5000 year old house, a true achievement of Jazz Age culture, remained silent with a silence unique in all the world, at the time of my much-anticipated departure—the ruin of his once carefully-kept grass, now raped and destroyed by Imperial Japan, had grown as long as mine: long enough it might have been a world best! One of the humble taxi drivers, working hard for his living in the village nary traversed the auspicious gate but he would take pause for a moment of reflection, to contemplate the deep, uniquely tragic story of what had transpired inside; perhaps he still dreamed of the assassination of Korea's last princess, perhaps his was the car, 340 centimeters long and 153 centimeters tall, built in 1432, destroyed by the Japanese in 1530, and restored in 1882, which propelled Daisy and Kechupi over to East Egg the doomed, haunting night of the tragic accident which even now echoes through history and perhaps he had made a story, one of the truly great stories known to mankind, more unique than any other, about it. Overwhelmed by the unique emotions which only a Korean could understand, I passed up the great opportunity of hearing it and I shunned him upon my singular departure off the train.


2. I translated it myself

When I are leave. The Kechupi house still empty also. And in front the his house is the grasses. And a grasses is long like to my grasses outsede my house too. And the taxi driver from city are always don't take people Kechupi house in front but except he always stop for a talks the story and gesture to inside of it. The house. Maybe him taxi was when Kechupi and the Daiji have went to night of accident go to East Egg at the car is accident night also and maybe him make a story too about the Kechupi for him tell to people in texi. By my wasnt interest for hear the texi story so always I'm avoided.


3. I didn't study all that TOEIC Vocabulary for nothing! (aka: I've got a Thesaurus, and I know how to use it.)

Kechupi’s house was still vacuous when I dispensation—the verdure on
his grassplot had burgeoned as protracted as that which I possessed. Singularity of the taxi automobilists in the municipality finitely ported an excurionist outdistance the vestibule conduit without discontinuation for an infinitesimal and locus bowels; imaginably it was he who compelled Daisy and Kechupi traversely to East Egg the eventide of the contingency and reasonably he had made a fabrication appertaining it all his own. I didn’t hankering to descry it and I obviated him when I got off the concatention.


4. Middle School Student

Dear Teacher:

There is empty the Kechupi house when I have leave <3 KKK. Grass in front the Kechupi hous is long like a my house and I am annoying: 아이고! Because mother say cutting the grass or hit you like when failing the test! And one texi driving people telling the story about Kechupi and Daijy go to East Egg. Teacher! Do you like eggs? I like the eggs. I'm didn't like hear the story so not go the texi. Thank you for read my story.


5. Proofreader? Punctuation? Are those seasonal Brazilian fruits?

Kechupis House are still Empties

when I are lefting—the gress on his lawn, had, "grown" as long as mine

one of the Taxi, drivers in the a Villages never

taking a fare, Pasted, the Entrance gate without! to stopped for a minute

and pointing inside...

it's maybe he who Driving daijy and Kechupi over at east Egg to it

the Night the accident. and perhaps He is make story about that one.

I didn’t want hear it and my avoids to him when I have got off at the train.


6. I just spell it like I hear it.

Kechupi’s houseu woju suteel emputii when I leputu—the glash on
hisu reon hadu glone as rongu as mien. Wun obe deo tekshi drieeb-
eos in deo billeegee nebo took a paer pesutu deo entransheu gaeeteu
wittouteu sutofing po a miniteu andu fointing insaideu; peohepseu
it weoju he hu deurobe Daijy endu Kechupi obeo to Easeuteu Ekeu deo
nai-teu obe deo ekshidenteu endu peohepseu he hed maideu a seutoly abouteu
it all his own. I didn’t want to hear it and I avoided him
wen I gat opeu deo teulain.

3 comments:

  1. I might just try all of them... But I see you have already done the first page. Along with the last, it is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If possible, we're going to have a vote-in contest for who gets to do the last page...

    ReplyDelete